Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mason's new "hat"

When Mason was a newborn, he would only sleep on one side of his head... and that resulted in a pretty dramatic flat spot.  When we first new about it, I was worried that he would have to get a helmet to correct it.  Now I wonder why I worried so much. 

Clear back in August we went to a Plastic Surgeon that specializes in orthotic helmets to help reshape misshapen heads.  He will give a prescription to get a helmet for anything he deems over a 6 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst shaped head.  Mason was a 7 1/2.  We set up an appointment with the orthotic center to measure his head and send in a pre-approval from our insurance company.  We were told it would take 6-8 weeks.  After weeks of pressing the insurance company, we finally got an approval after 9 1/2 weeks.

We went back in on October 12th to get a mold of his head.  Then we went back on the 27th to pick up our new helmet.  It hit me hard as we were sitting there testing the helmet.  Mason started crying and I naturally bent down and kissed his head, but I wasn't kissing his head... I was kissing the helmet.  I got a bit teary at the realization that natural mommy comforts were going to change. 

The first few nights with his helmet were tough.  He didn't sleep well.  And I felt really bad for him.  But then he got into the groove of wearing it and has been great ever since.  We went back to the plastic surgeon at the beginning of December and he told us it would probably only be 6 more weeks.  He was happy with the progress.  Here's to hoping that we only have two more weeks.  We shall see.  Still kind of waiting on another good growth spurt to fill in the last little bit of flatness.

I have been able to have fun with decorating his helmet though.
Mason the day he got his helmet.

The same day, I decorated it right away.

Go Utes!

Our Christmas candycane.

Mason's birthday theme was "Bubbles and Balls"  We decorated his helmet with a Happy Birthday sign, bubbles, balls, and balloons.



We will see if he really only has two more weeks, or if we will have to endure another 6 weeks after that.  Wish us luck!

No comments: