Friday, March 18, 2011

New Family Adventures!!

So, as of a couple of weeks ago, I have decided to do something that I have NEVER done. I am going to enter into and compete in a Triathlon Sprint in Riverton! It is on June 18, so I have 3 months from today to get into decent shape, so I don't embarrass myself. This is a really good goal for me, because it is giving me something to look forward to... and by doing so it is helping me stay motivated in getting into better shape (ideally back to pre-BRODY pregnancy).

Adam and I started working out 5 weeks ago, after watching The Biggest Loser and I have lost 15 pounds since. My short term goal now is just a mere 3 more pounds, then 10 more... and the goal to get to pre-pregnancy weight is 22 pounds after that... so 35 more pounds.

Well, because I am getting ready for a triathlon, I am doing exercises that I haven't really ever done as "exercise"... and that is biking and swimming. We have gone to the pool a few times and I have been able to do my workout. The last time we went, I swam 300 yards in 8 1/2 minutes. Now I have NO clue how fast that really is, but I was pretty proud of myself for finishing and not feel too winded. I guess that means I need to try to go a little faster. The boys have a blast at the pool too, so it just makes it so easy to get motivated to go and practice my swim portion.

On top of that... I knew I needed to start biking again. Adam has a really nice bike from his mission, that I don't think he even used (except when they were close on miles in their car and had to cut back). So, I planned on just using his bike for my stuff. I also knew that I wanted a bike trailer to pull the boys behind me, so that I didn't HAVE to wait for Adam to be home to go... so we invested in that (it turns into a double jogger stroller too... double whammy). So, when I told Adam my plans, he was ademant that we just get me a bike so that we could ALL go together. I LOVED that idea!! So, in the end we bought me a new bike too... from Wally world. :) Thank goodness for tax returns!!

Last Friday, we got the trailer/jogger in the mail, and my new bike from the store. Saturday, we went out on our first family bike ride. It started out very pleasant, and then we got to the hill between City Center and Ranches... and it kicked my butt!! I had the trailer on the back of my bike because Adam's bike has a quick release tire on back and the trailer attachment doesn't work with quick release tires. FINALLY we got to the pass, and then it was downhill from there all the way to my brother's house. All in all we biked 5.8 miles to his house. We were planning on making the trip back but my little bruiser fell out of the back of a parked truck and knocked his noggin on the cement. It was pretty traumatic. Brody seemed completely dilirious for awhile, so Josh and Kami gave us a ride home with all of our equipment, so that Brody couldn't fall asleep in the trailer (in case of a concussion). He ended up being fine, with just a good bruise... so no worries there.

Every day Adam comes home wanting to go biking, but the weather has been pretty icky this week, so we haven't gone as a family again. I did go on Tuesday for a 6.2 mile bike ride all the way around City Center... and that wasn't as hard because it was all flat. The fun thing is that in the Triathlon, the entire first half of the bike ride is uphill and the entire second half is downhill... so workout at the beginning and then coast!

Here are some pics and videos from our little family adventure.
Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

6 comments:

Sarah Dowland said...

Lol... I just looked up average times for swimming 300 yds... um yeah, I am on the slow end. I guess I really do have a LOT of training to do for that too! They say FAST swimmers can do it in 3:00, average in about 5:00 and slower in 8:00... humbling. :-/

Chase and Teresa said...

Welcome to blogger. You are living my dream right now. . .I've wanted bikes for our family for so long. Now my girls are constantly asking me to get a bike. I'm so glad you are doing the triathalon. There is something so refresshing in having a goal other than just "lose weight" all the time.

Sarah Dowland said...

It's so true... I am not just coming up with random exercises... I am preparing for specific ones. I love it!! And it is great, because I am doing it with my neighbors, so they keep me motivated too... we go running every now and then together.

Tina said...

you go girl, i wish i even thought i could do something like that! sooooo glad you converted to blogger btw :)

leah said...

You are such a stud! I'm not doing as good on my training, but my bikes in the shop right now getting fixed up! I think 8 min is stellar. That's the best I ever did training last year, so you've got me licked already.

Megan said...

Way to go Sarah! The bike and trailer are good investments.....we have used ours TONS! My boys love them.
I didn't know you lived out here in Eagle Mountain....for some reason I thought you were in Sandy. We live in the Ranches. We should get together sometime!